Advice and tips on caring for your dentures
- Plaque and food stick to dentures the same way they stick to your natural teeth. Dentures should be brushed daily inside and outsidewith a soft, large nylon denture tooth brush with round-ended bristles.
- Many toothpaste brands contain ingredients that are too abrasive for removable teeth. Use denture creams instead of toothpastes.
- If you are using denture adhesive, make sure that you remove it very thoroughly every night.
- Beware that dentures warp if placed in hot water. Rinse them using cold water.
- Don’t sleep in your dentures.
- When not in use, cover dentures with water or a denture-cleaning solution to prevent them from drying out. Have loose dentures checked immediately as they can cause friction and pressure on the gum tissues and bones.
- Inspect your denture regularly for worn teeth.
- Worn and stained dentures can make you look older and cause your dentures to function poorly.
- If your dentures break, call us immediately. Don’t attempt to fix broken dentures yourself.